TMCD-Said Business School Joint Distinguished Guest Lecture with Professor George Yip
Professor George Yip is going to deliver a Distinguished Guest Lecture on 'Innovation, China’s Next Advantage' on Thursday, 23rd October 2014. This event, co-hosted by TMCD and Said Business School, will take place in the Seminar Room 2 at Queen Elizabeth House.
Outline of the Talk:
- Why China has advantages for innovation both on the supply and the demand sides.
- How foreign companies are not simply transferring technology from advanced countries to China, but are creating technology locally—for China and the world.
- The challenges that foreign companies face in conducting innovation in China and some of their surprising solutions.
- What is different about Chinese companies’ approach to innovation.
- Which Chinese companies are the most innovative in China.
This talk is based on a three-year programme of research conducted by the CEIBS Centre on China innovation.www.ceibs.edu/cci
More information will be updated later.
George Yip is a research specialist in global strategy and marketing and Professor of Management and Co-Director, Centre on China Innovation, at China Europe International Business School, based in both London and Shanghai. He is also a Visiting Professor at Imperial College Business School since 2011. His book, Total Global Strategy: Managing for Worldwide Competitive Advantage (Prentice Hall, 1992; 1995) was selected as one of the 30 best business books of 1992 by Soundview Executive Book Summaries. Currently, he is working on his new book which will be published next year.
He was educated at Dover College, and Magdalene College, Cambridge University in UK. An MBA from Harvard Business School, Yip is also a ‘Doctor of Business Administration’ in Business Policy from Harvard Business School where he was supervised by Prof. Michael E. Porter.
He retired in 2011 as Dean of Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University. He was previously Professor of Strategic and International Management and Associate Dean at London Business School, and the Chair of Marketing and Strategy at Cambridge University, and has also held faculty positions at Harvard Business School and UCLA. He has won two “best teaching” awards at UCLA and “best research” awards from Business Horizons (2000) and Journal of International Marketing (2000). The Times Higher Education Supplement ranked him among the 12 most successful academic consultants in the UK in any discipline (2006).
George Yip’s business experience spans from marketing and product management to consulting and innovation. He began his business career working in marketing and product management with Unilever. He also worked in account management for Lintas. He was the Senior Manager of Price Waterhouse's strategic management consulting services in the Eastern United States, and also a Senior Associate with The MAC Group in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Before becoming dean of Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University, he was Director of Research & Innovation at Capgemini Consulting.
His current research interests are in strategic transformation, innovation, and global customers.
Books and Articles:
- Managing Global Customers: An Integrated Approach 2007
- The International Success of British Companies: An Industry Perspective 2006
- Total Global Strategy II, 2003
- Asian Advantage: Key Strategies for Winning in the Asia-Pacific Region, 2000
- Strategies for Central and Eastern Europe, 2000
- Total Global Strategy: Managing for Worldwide Competitive Advantage 1992
- Barriers to Entry: A Corporate Strategy Perspective, 1983
- Articles in several leading publications including California Management Review, Harvard Business Review, Sloan Management Review
Source: Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Yip & Linkedin