Professor Xiaolan Fu
Xiaolan Fu (傅晓岚) is the Founding Director of the Technology and Management Centre for Development (TMCD), Professor of Technology and International Development and Fellow of Green Templeton College. She was appointed by the Secretary-General of the United Nations to the Ten-Member High Level Advisory Group of the UN Technology Facilitation Mechanism and to the Governing Council of the UN's Technology Bank for Least Developed Countries. She is also a member of the UN SDSN Leadership Council led by Jeffrey Sachs and a member of the Adivisory Board of UNU-MERIT.
Research and Professional Interests
Her research interests include innovation, technology and industrialisation; trade, foreign direct investment and economic development; emerging Asian economies; innovation and productivity in UK/US. She has published extensively in leading international journals independently or in collaboration with others. Her recent books include Innovation under the Radar (forthcoming), China's Path to Innovation, China’s Role in Global Economic Recovery and The Rise of Technological Power in the South. She is Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, and serves on the Editorial Boards of Industrial and Corporate Change, International Journal of Technology Management, and four other international journals.
Prof Fu received large research grants from prestigious funding bodies including the European Commission, ESRC, EPSRC, British Academy, DFID, and the Cairncross Foundation. She has also received the European Commission EFMD Gate2Growth 2005 'European Best Paper' Award, Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2012 Outstanding Paper Award, and European Association of Management (EURAM) annual conference Innovation Strategic Interest Group 2017 Best Paper Award.
She has been consultant for UNDESA, UNCTAD, UNIDO, the World Bank, OECD, European Commission, ILO, the Commonwealth Secretariat, UKTI and the Chinese government. Prof Fu serves on the Advisory Expert Group of the OECD Global Investment Forum and the DFID/ESRC Economic Growth Directorate (DEGP), and is President of the Chinese Economic Association (Europe) and CEA (UK) in 2010-11. She currently serves on the Management Committee of the University of Oxford China Centre. She is also a Senior Research Associate at the University of Cambridge and University of Tsinghua, and a Visiting Professor at Fudan University. As a leading China expert, she has participated in various interviews and panel discussions on main stream media including BBC, Sky News, CCTV, CGTN, People's Daily, and China Daily. In 2014 she was invited to address the UN General Assembly on ‘Science, technology and innovation in developing countries’.
Prof Fu came to Oxford from the University of Cambridge, where she was a Senior Research Fellow. Before coming to the UK, she had five years’ work experience in the business sector in China before embarking on her academic career.
- ESRC GCRF Grant No. ES/S001336/1, £766,190, “Digital Technology-based New Business Model for Inclusive Development'”. Principal Investigator. 2018-2021
- EC FP7 Grant No 612889, €2,600,000, “MNEmerge”. Co-Investigator. Leader of a work package and responsible for the research methods of the whole project. Own project €623,750. 2014-16
- ESRC/DFID Grant RES-000-22-2791, £576,890, “The diffusion of innovation in low income countries”. Principal Investigator. 2012-15
- EPSRC Grant, EP/E026052/1, £350,000, “Rural e-Service in India: Participatory Co-design of Software and Business Models”. Own project £102,000, 2006-2009. Principal Investigator.
- EPSRC Grant EP/D503973/1, £500,000, “The Role of Management Practices in Closing the Productivity Gap”. Own project £116,000, 2005-2008. Principal Investigator.
- ESRC Grant RES-000-22-2791, £81,200, “China and the evolution of global manufactures prices, 1988-2006”. April-Dec, 2008. Co-investigator.
- British Academy, SG122404, £6,900, ‘The Role of Internationalisation on Technological Capability-Upgrading in Developing Countries‘. Principal Investigator. 2013-15
- British Academy, £8,890, “China’s role in global economic recovery’, 2010. Principal Investigator.
- Cairncross Foundation, £5,100, "International innovation collaboration in China", PI, 2012-13.
- Cairncross Foundation, £6,900, "Inclusive innovation for the Bottom of Pyramid in China", PI, 2012-14.
- UNIDO Conference Grant, £15,000, “Confronting the challenge of technology for development: experiences from the BRICS” Principal Investigator. 2008
- UK Trade & Investment Project, £52,170. ‘The experience of UK mid-corporate companies in accessing and working in emerging Asian economies’. 2006, Principal Investigator.
Academic awards and Honours
- Governing Council, Technology Bank for LDCs, United Nations, 2016-
- Leadership Council, Sustainable Development Solutions Network, United Nations, 2016-
- 10-Member Group, Technology Facilitation Mechanism, United Nations, 2015-
- European Association of Management (EURAM) Innovation SIG, 2017, Best Paper Award
- Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2012, Outstanding Paper Award.
- European Commission, EFMD Gate2Growth Academic Network, 2005 ‘European Best Paper Award’.
- Oxford University Teaching Excellence Award, 2011.
- Member of Advisory Committee, DFID/ESRC Growth Programme Directorate (DEGRP)
- Member of Expert Advisory Board, OECD Global Investment Forum
- President: Chinese Economic Association, CEA(Europe) and CEA(UK), 2010-11.
- Fellow in Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Judge Business School, Cambridge University, 2006-
- Pierce Visiting Scholar (by invitation), Emory University, USA. 2012-13
- Editor-in-Chief: Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies 2013
Books and Monographs
Fu, Xiaolan. Innovation under the radar in Africa, Cambridge University Press, forthcoming
Fu, Xiaolan (eds) (2017) 'Multinational Enterprises and Sustainable Development', Emerald
Fu, Xiaolan (ed) (2011) China's Role in Global Economic Recovery, Routledge. Translated into Chinese and published by Yilin Press in 2012.
Fu Xiaolan (with Kaihua Chen and Yi Zhang) (2019) 'Scientific effects of Triple Helix interactions among research institutes, industries and universities', Technovation
Fu Xiaolan (with Ann Njoki Kingiri) (2019) 'Understanding the diffusion and adoption of digital finance innovation in emerging economies: M-Pesa money mobile transfer service in Kenya', Innovation and Development
Fu, Xiaolan (with Kaihua Chen and Yi Zhang) ‘International Research Collaboration: An Emerging Domain of Innovation Studies?’, Research Policy. Vol 48, Issue 1, 149-168.
Fu, Xiaolan (with Zhongjuan Sun and Pervez N. Ghauri) 'Reverse knowledge acquisition in emerging markets MNEs: The experiences of Hauwei and ZTE.', Journal of Business Research
Fu, Xiaolan (2018) 'Unpacking the relationship between outward direct investment and innovation performance: evidence from Chinese firms', World Development, Vol 102, 111-123
Fu, Xiaolan (2018) 'Innovation and productivity in formal and informal firms in Ghana', Technological Forecasting and Social Change , Vol 131, 315-325.
Fu, Xiaolan (2018) 'Evaluation of multi-period regional R&D efficiency: An application of dynamic DEA to China's regional R&D systems', Omega, Vol 74, 103-114
Fu, Xiaolan (2017) 'Local context and innovation in China', Asian Business and Management 16 (3) 117-29
Fu, Xiaolan (2017) 'Highly skilled returnees and the internationalization of EMNEs: Firm level evidence from China', International Business Review 26 (3) 579–91
Fu, Xiaolan (2016) 'The creation and diffusion of innovation in developing countries: A systematic literature review', Journal of Economic Surveys 30 (5) 884-912
Fu, Xiaolan (2016) 'The Impact of Mobile Phone Technology on Agricultural Extension Services Delivery: Evidence from India', Journal of Development Studies 52 (11) 1561-76
Fu, Xiaolan (2016) 'Collaboration with foreign universities for innovation: evidence from Chinese manufacturing firms', International Journal of Technology Management 70 (2/3) 193-217
Fu, Xiaolan (2014) 'Differential Forms of Technological Change and Catch-Up: Evidence from China', International Journal of Innovation Technology Management 11 (2)
Fu, Xiaolan (2014) 'Enhancing China's Innovation Performance: The Policy Choices', China & World Economy 22 (2) 42-60
Fu, Xiaolan (2014) 'Trade effects of US anti-dumping actions against China', World Economy 37 (1) 86-105
Fu, Xiaolan (2014) 'Open innovation as a response to constrains and risks and the moderating role of ownership', Asian Economic Papers 13 (3) 30-58
Fu, Xiaolan (2013) 'Drivers of Export Upgrading', World Development 51 221-33
Fu, Xiaolan (2013) 'Computerisation and efficiency of rural credit cooperatives: evidence from India', Journal of International Development 25 (3) 412-37
Fu, Xiaolan (2013) 'Financial innovation in the UK', Applied Economics 45 (24) 3400-11
Fu, Xiaolan (2013) 'Technology Development Path in an Open Developing Economy: Evidence from China', Applied Economics 45 (11) 1405-18
Fu, Xiaolan (and Zhu) (2013) ‘Drivers of export upgrading’, World Development, v51, 221-233, DOI: 10.1016/j.worlddev.2013.05.017
Fu, Xiaolan (2012) 'Foreign Direct Investment and Managerial Knowledge Spillovers Through the Diffusion of Management Practices', Journal of Management Studies 49(5) 970-99
Fu, Xiaolan (2012) 'The Two Faces of Foreign Management Capabilities: FDI and Productive Efficiency in the UK Retail Sector', International Business Review 21 (1) 71-88
Fu, Xiaolan (2012) 'How Does Openness Affect the Importance of Incentives for Innovation?', Research Policy 41 (3) 512-23
Fu, Xiaolan (2012) 'The Impact of China on Low and Middle Income Countries' Export Prices in Industrial-Country Markets', World Development 40(8) 1483-98
Fu, Xiaolan (with Kaplinsky and Zhang) (2012), ‘The Impact of China on Low and Middle Income Countries’ Export Prices in Industrial-Country Markets’ World Development, v40 (8), 1483-96 (lead paper).
Fu, Xiaolan (with Pietrobelli, and Soete) (2011), ‘The role of foreign technology and indigenous innovation in emerging economies: technological change and catch-up’, World Development, v39, no 7, 1203-1212.
Fu, Xiaolan (2011) ‘Processing-trade, FDI and Exports of Indigenous Firms: Firm-level Evidence from High-technology Industries in China’, Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, v73, no 5. 792-817.
Fu, Xiaolan (and Balasubramanyam) (2005), ‘Exports, Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: the Case of China’, World Economy, vol.28, no. 4, 607-625.
Fu, Xiaolan (and Balasubramanyam) (2003), ‘Township and Village Enterprises in China’, Journal of Development Studies, Vol. 39, No. 4, 27-46
For a full list of publications please see the page 'Publications of Xiaolan Fu'